Thursday, January 17, 2008

Okay, so I'm a wee bit late

I've had a little bit on my mind....but I've had a pretty good week so far, so I thought maybe I would CONSIDER THE REVOLUTIONS.

All around me people made their resolutions for the new year, promises to do this or commitments to do that, setting goals and making new plans.

Sort of like Monday morning for me, since I haven;t managed to screw the week up yet. Except they are thinking THE. ENTIRE. YEAR.

I am not sure how I feel about resolutions.

I could say, "Today is the rest of my life starting NOW." and resolve anything at any time, which is usually what I do. Okay, to be truthful, I try to do this stuff on a three day weekend, so it can sort of creep up on me. And then the number one change on all 52 of my lists is always "Clean the office" followed by "weed the hill". They have a permanent spot on my do-over list.

So why does the new calendar in my wee little planner seem so hopeful?
Mine resides in an index card sized address/planner book that literally keeps my brains in it. And yes, I have a PDA but since I can't take it into work, it sort of defeats its little purpose. Plus, my little planner never runs out of power.

I make these sweeping, grand plans, and then I peter out with them when life gets hard or it gets hot or my head hurtsl and it's all I can do to hang on by my fingernails. I end up feeling like a total failure and that's not a very nice way to end the day, the week or even the year. (Can you tell I'm humming the theme from FRIENDS?)

Maybe the trick to it, for me, is not in making the huge, new changes.

Maybe rather than focusing on goals and the finish line, I'd get more of a sense , oh, I don;t know.. WINNING?... if I just looked at how certain situations and things have changed in the course of a year.

So here are my revolutions:
  1. Clean out the office (#1 for the last FOUR years)
  2. Weed and plant the hillside
  3. Do something Martha Stewart-ish in my vegetable garden (usually worked on until it gets hot)
  4. Keep the kitchen table free from laundry. (That would mean I would have to find somewhere else to put it).
  5. Actually take all of my books and but them up in the library in some kind of order
  6. Wear lipstick and perfume every day
  7. Get a hole drilled into my head and stop complaining about my headaches

1 comment:

Paulie said...

I would put #7 first!