Friday, September 28, 2007

SInce I'm at the beach...here are some photos




This is one of the last times I went diving. We were in Florida for a MONTH... little 50's style motel right on the beach in Key Largo. Our flight got in before the rooms were ready, so we just got into our suits, found a hammock and went to sleep in the shade. Right next door to Neptune's Hideaway, there was a fish place (great food)...down the road was the Fish House (WOW!!), Crabby's and a Publix mercado, so I actually could cook. Which I did. I reallyit was just the most romantic little trip. We stayed in this like to cook when we go on vacation. Grill some fish, grill some onions and fennel, have some cheese...how can life get any better?

We're on the boat and I'm grilling some oysters (for me) and some salmon for Mike (trying to steam wrap it with parchment, some butter, a little fresh dill, some salt and then wrap the whole thing in foil. Some fresh bread and a simple little apple and pear tart with table cream. All on the grill. Yum.

It isn't dark yet and I can see a couple of other boats with people on them. I'm just waiting for the coals to get hot enough to cook. I love it out here. The boats are all bobbing and it is still light enough to see the ripples in the water. I bet there are seals cruising under the water because it looks like something big is under there.






I bought some big chilies, so I'm doing Chile rellanos in the morning...here is my recipe:

4 whole poblano pepper, charred and seeded..you can cool of the heat by starting the cooking process in a George Foreman Grill and then charring it right on the burners of the stove. (That's how I do my tortillas, too. Flip them right on the burner)
1 cup cotija cheese, grated
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1/2 cup crema Mexican (or sour cream, thinned with milk)
2 Tbsp. chipotle chile canned in adobo, pureed
salt and pepper

In a large mixing bowl, gently combine onion, the chipotle chiles, half the cheese, half the crema, salt and pepper. Stuff each chile with about a quarter of the mixture and place the stuffed chiles on an ungreased baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle the remaining crema over the chiles and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.

Takes no time at all and we get up so early anyway. This morning the dogs went crazy at four in the morning...I thought I heard Lisi holler "Mama!"..so naturally, I ran headlong down the stairs to see who was kindnapping my baby. Mike has a cooler head, and checked to see if she was still in bed. She was.

SO it was either a dream that the dogs and I were having together or Lisi called out in her sleep.

Mothering. It just never stops.


1 comment:

Paulie said...

Sounds like your weekend went well. I am so envious of you near the water. I can't eat your food but you sound very interested in it!