Saturday, July 26, 2008

How a BAD THING can be a very good thing indeed

My son has autism and schizophrenia. It is a long, involved and mainly scarey story that is mostly in the distant past. He is fine now. Well, SSI fine.
He has his issues.
He volunteers at the local mental health center 40 hours a week and at the end of the week is pretty much peopled out. Mike and I are in high people careers, so we understand exactly how he feels. That's why we leave town on the weekends and don;t even leave the yard.

When we are gone, Ben goes over to our house and in exchange for the cable and the a/c and the computer, he cleans up the kitchen, puts away the laundry, remakes my bed (I manage to get the laundry DONE, folded/sorted/hung...just not put away). He cleans up the counters and vacuumns. Makes sure the dogs have water. Watches tv. Surfs the internet. It is a good trade for all of us.
I leave food in the fridge and he makes sure that it is all cleaned out by the time I get home on Sunday, so when I take him home, I can stop at the market for the week.

Works for all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your son rent out? Lol. MY son can't even find the closet half of the time...fortunately, he does not stay with us...he does, however, tend to our dogs when we are gone...AND he has a key to my house! Can I send him to your son for lessons? lol.

Paulie said...

I think I would keep him! Does he realize who is getting the better deal? AND he misses out going to the beach too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!